Innovative, new features in FileMaker 17 allows us to build your solution even faster
FileMaker Inc. released the FileMaker 17 Platform with new versions of FileMaker Pro Advanced, Server, FileMaker Go and FileMaker WebDirect. As with previous releases FileMaker 17 has a number of new features for both customers and developers.
Updates in the FileMaker 17 Platform include:
- Linear Blue Starter apps: Allows us to develop your solution quicker by choosing from our full range of starter solutions. Adding more functionality to any solution by connecting an add-on table and customising to your unique business requirements.
- Master-detail layouts: Leverage the new portal enhancements to create common design patterns like master-detail layouts.
- Redesigned layout mode: Create custom apps more easily with layout tools that are more discoverable through convenient panes inside the document window.
- Sensor support: Using a new calculation function, mobile apps can capture information from iOS sensors in iPad or iPhone devices.
- Configure local notification: Display a local notification on an iPad or iPhone device when FileMaker Go is not running or is in the background.
- Drag and drop: Go faster with drag and drop of text, photos, and files between apps on iPad devices running iOS 11.2.
Administration and Integration:
- FileMaker Server Admin Console: Redesigned to be more lightweight with a streamlined user interface.
- FileMaker Admin API trial: Get REST API access to manage and administer FileMaker Server. Trial expires Sept. 27, 2019.
- FileMaker Data API: This improved REST API includes support for FileMaker Server scripts, the ability to upload files to container fields, and a more standardized API format.
The release of the FileMaker 17 Platform also sees the end of FileMaker Pro as a standalone application, as it is now replaced by FileMaker Pro Advanced. FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced are no longer sold as separate products.
FileMaker Inc. also released a new FileMaker data migration tool that can significantly reduce the time it takes to migrate/import data from one version of a FileMaker solution to another (e.g. when moving data from a production version to the latest development version). The data migration process can now go from days to hours or hours to minutes when importing large data sets. This new time-saving command-line tool helps you update your deployed custom apps in no time. The data migration tool is available through the FileMaker Developer Subscription.
With the launch of the FileMaker 17 Platform FileMaker Inc. have also announced new licensing programs that replace the previous programs – the primary new offering is called FileMaker User Licensing. FileMaker User Licensing is a simple, cost-effective way for teams to license the entire FileMaker Platform. FileMaker User Licensing is based on the number of unique users a company or organization has that need to use FileMaker software. The key components of the new FileMaker User Licensing Program are:
- Every license includes the entire FileMaker 17 Platform – FileMaker Server, FileMaker Go, FileMaker WebDirect, and FileMaker Pro Advanced – which replaces FileMaker Pro – to give everyone access to advanced development and customization features.
- Start at 5, add in increments of 1 – the initial minimum quantity is 5 users, and you can add users in increments of 1.
- New FileMaker Data API – each license comes with unlimited inbound data transfer and 2 GBs of outbound data transfer, per user, per month – shared and tracked annually.
- All new contracts are managed under one license key – and the license key will not change over time making renewals and additions much easier to manage.